When a dent is repairable on a car, fixing it involves;
- Pushing out the dent.
- Flatting back the paint on the damaged part and keying the surrounding area.
- Filling it to the correct shape.
- (Once the filler has dried) flatting back again until completely smooth.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until we are happy the shaping of the panel is perfect.
- Apply primer.
- Once the primer has dried we check over the shape once more, sometimes we may have to return to step 3- we want it to look perfect!
- When we are happy that it feels and looks perfect we apply a minimum of 3 coats of paint to the area and blend out with each coat making the repair appear seamless.
- Once we’re happy with the paint coverage and blend, 2-3 coats of lacquer will be applied to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish.
- Finally once we have dried off the lacquer and let it cool we give it a final flat and polish to make sure it is ready for the customer and looks the best it can.
As you can see this is a pretty time consuming job. But sometimes we can totally skip numbers 1 to 5… saving us time and you money!
We do this by replacing the panel if we can.
Here is a door we replaced last week.
Apart from a little damage to the sill which we repaired, all the damage was contained to the door panel.
So we ordered in a brand new door that we painted to match the car. The great thing about that is that we don’t need your car here to do it. The customer was able to keep hold of their car while we got the new door painted and ready.
Here’s the new door when it arrived (left), we then primed (middle), flatted and painted it (right).
We got the door ready to fit so that when the customers car arrived we were ready to go.
Although fitting a door isn’t as straight forward as a couple of bolts (we need to consider the wiring to the central locking, window and window mechanisms, air bags, as well as moving over the door panels and any other trim panels), having the painted door ready to go really does save time.
And here is the finished product!
If you have any car bodywork you’re putting off getting repaired, why not get in touch? We provide free, no obligation estimates and are always happy to help you get the best possible price for you repair.
Jeepers Keepers Autocentre x